Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Review: Jónsi "Go" Tour Live in Brighton

photo by kirstie shanley
Photo by Kirstie Shanley

I saw this live video months ago and determined I had to see Jónsi live, so when the amazing Kate Magic offered me a ticket I leapt at the chance. I've combed the net but can't seem to find a video that truly conveys how incredible the show was - perhaps so much so that it can't actually be captured on video.


jónsi - sinking friendships (live) from Jónsi on Vimeo.

After a beautiful start to the evening from folk trio Mountain Man (three ladies, lumberjack gear, no beards, haunting voices), the main event began and I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. The video below should give you a vague idea of the visual element to the show, it wasn't strictly a concert in the sense that you just go and watch a band sing songs - this was a concert, theatre performance, magic show and film rolled in to one.

You begin to suspect from the outset that Iceland must have some actual real magic in the water or air. Jónsi and his band of woodland creatures appear and conjure up the show, filling the air with their sounds until it felt there must be hundreds more creatures hiding somewhere playing tiny but very loud drum sets, guitars, pianos and xylophones which somehow caused a disturbance in the forest in the background bringing forth fires, wolves, deer, owls, floods and an army of ants. I found myself open mouthed, filled with wonder, overjoyed, scared, on the verge of tears and completely overwhelmed throughout (to the point I refused to go and meet the band afterwards in case they didn't seem so fairy-like). I really hope you go and experience it for yourself [link to tour schedule].


Jónsi live show by 59 Productions from Jónsi on Vimeo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails