Thursday, 5 August 2010

Video: Janelle Monae "Cold War"



Right, you know I always keep it real on here so I'll continue in that tradition now. I love this. It made my day. I don't believe the tears are contrived (for all you cynical folks out there). I'm a massive fan of course, but the reason I love this in particular is that I feel Janelle Monae's lyrics occasionally get lost when people see the style or the dancing, or even hear her amazing voice. The reason I am such a massive fan is her lyrics - if you can tell the truth, and the very important truth at that, in a pop song in such a way that it might take people a minute to stop dancing around or singing along to realise the import of what you're saying then you've won. That makes you my musical hero. This video sheds all window dressing and delivers the message very directly, and her tears at the point where she sings

"I'm trying to find my feet
I was made to believe there's something wrong with me
And it hurts my heart..." 

Seem entirely justified (if you read her Twitter you'll know she seems quite heart on sleeve, crying at films etc) though I can understand they might be unexpected given the "android" persona we often see in interviews. Anyway, it's not for me to defend this lady - I just wanted to be clear on what I think about this video: I think it's perfect. 

Via Pitchfork

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails