Friday, 11 June 2010

Black Eyed Peas - Blue Black



I came across this video today, and found it so sweet and idealistic. Seeing the Black Eyed Peas perform at the World Cup ceremony made me think of Joints and Jams. I always find it so funny to think if I'm at a party and the DJ plays that song, they would probably prefer to eat their own arm than play anything BEP have made post-Fergie.

This isn't meant to be a simplistic post from an ageing hip hop fan bashing them for going pop - if you listen closely here they talk about being more than just hip hop, and the multicultural message is still there, (it just makes me want to break my computer now). I suppose I genuinely find it incredible that the same bright eyed, seemingly genuine people went on to make a song called "My Humps", and wonder what happened to the "positive consciousness that leads people in the right direction" they talk about above. OK, that doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination but it was just such a staggeringly epic transformation.

Is it naive to think there could be levels of selling out? (EG the 99% clause: You can take my dignity but I won't say "I mix your milk wit my cocoa puff/ Milky milky cocoa puff" )? And surely there are some unwritten rules? "You can sell your soul to David Guetta but you're forever expelled from the world of hip hop and no one may describe you as such anymore, lest you make a song the press describe as 'one of the most embarrassing rap performances of the new millennium'."  Or perhaps "The penalty for making music combining any of the following lyrics; "You love my lady lumps/ My lovely lady lumps/ They say I'm really sexy/ The boys they wanna sex me/ What you gon' do wit all that breast? All that breast inside that shirt?" With the words "So Real (rpt x 17)"  Shall be death by embarrassment." And surely "You can go with Guetta, but you can't take Kelis with you."?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails