Wednesday, 5 November 2008


In this video, ?uestlove sums up pretty much everything I feel about the true meaning and importance of today.

To me, this is not about politics or money. This is bigger than that. Hope is what improves your quality of life. You can be as cynical as you like, but from today, a whole generation of young Americans - and I believe people all over the world - will grow up with the motto 'YES WE CAN'. The little time I've spent in America showed me how necessary that shift in mind state is for so many people - as ?uest says - he needed it personally. At the end of the video he talks about how he was sad for the people who weren't here to witness it - it was a really hard one for me last night not being able to share this with my father. But I can share it with you. Here are some of the songs I'll be listening to today...I'm not dumbing the list down - if today isn't the day (for everybody!) to listen to these songs I don't know when is. I'd love to hear what you're listening to today. Download them here.

Abraham, Martin & John - Marvin Gaye
An American Poem - Those Guys
Emmett Till - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Evolution - Cinematic Orchestra (ft Fontella Bass)
La Ritournelle - Sebasten Tellier
My Peoples - DJ Jazzy Jeff
Peace - Dwight Trible
Reconstruct - Muhsinah
Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud - James Brown
Solider - Erykah Badu
Supersition - Stevie Wonder
To Be Young, Gifted and Black - Donnie Hathaway
Trouble in My Way - The Voices of Como
Umi Says - Mos Def
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

I'm listening to these songs today because to me they're full of memories, pain, power, truth, joy and hope.


Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails