Sunday, 19 October 2008

McNasty Filth

I'm still a little buzzy from Friday night, Frank n Dank performed live at Plastic People and me and the crew were at the front nice and early, ready to go. The crowd was...interesting (I'll leave it at that)...but it wasn't long before we all got to neck grasping, screw faced and sweaty to the sounds of What Up, McNasty Filth (pure madness), Eve, Clap Hands and Puff Puff Pass. It was Take Dem Clothes Off which brought out the raw angry man in all of us - including the ladies. I have no idea what Frank n Danks' female fans are like around the rest of the world but in London we don't exactly get it all out and start wiggling, which may be disappointing for some. Friday was pure sausage. I'm sure *I shouldn't but I love the video for McNasty Filth - here's a l'il link to the making of clip but I'm posting the video...don't watch it if you're easily offended by er, anything.

Last time I saw F&D was November 2005 at Dilla's legendary last gig at the Jazz Cafe. We were all pretty distressed that night since most of us had no idea how ill the man was, and when he was carried down those stairs in a wheelchair, and was clearly working hard just to hold the mic for a few songs it all got very real. I can't imagine how tough that tour was for everyone around him, and I don't know if I could watch the Eurpoean Vacation dvd, despite my curiosty. Share with me if you were there - or if you weren't!

I can't find any footage from the night I went (pre-camera phone videos) and to be honest I don't know if I'd want to post it anyway. Here's a night I wish I'd been at instead. Dilla & Madlib at the Jazz Cafe in May 2004.

Big shout outs to Dank for rocking with food poisoning, Tony & Gavin (and Sue!) from Burnt Progress, Dopeness Galore, Alexander Nut for his magnificent birthday set (and for not hurting the random guy who thought the decks were a toy), but most of all my partners in crime...


*Note: I know I've been pretty anti-booty videos at times but for some reason this is all so extra, funny and 'diverse' it actually strikes me as a bit of a pastiche.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unable to locate my going out vouchers during the week and I had already used up Saturdays..:) Kind of figured it would be like a peperami factory. Plastic had a flood on saturday, didnt get open till gone 12. was a good sesh though. I was at both those Jazz Cafe gigs. The first of the two was amazing. The sense of aticipation was imense. Usually one is disapointed when expecting so much. London was as it should be that night.
    JDs mother was with him n=on that second tour. I think they knew he was going to pass pretty soon. That was one of the strangest gigs ever. B

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails