Friday, 5 September 2008

Ole Blue Eyes

No, not Frank - Smokey. I've loved Smokey Robinson since I can remember loving music. I can hardly think of anyone who has written as many songs that I love apart from Michael Jackson and Marvin Gaye (and L'il Wayne obviously). Smokey was one of those people on my 'to marry when I grow up' list, after seeing him duet with Linda Ronstadt on Being With You and Ooh Baby Baby (which is my favourite so I have to share it with you - click here) that was it - I was going to grow up, get shoulder pads and blue mascara and marry Smokey. With the Miracles he had hits with Shop Around , You've Really Got a Hold On Me, Going to a Go-Go, I Second That Emotion and The Tears of a Clown - wait, that's not all. He also wrote My Guy for Mary Wells, Get Ready & My Girl for the Temptations, and Ain't That Peculiar & I'll Be Doggone for Marvin Gaye. I know. I just had to show you The Jackson Five cover of Who's Loving You (click here to download it!)- I actually prefer it to the original and if this doesn't make your day I don't know what will.

Here's Smokey & The Miracles performing Tracks Of My Tears - I love the fact dancing used to be compulsory.

After splitting with the Miracles he wrote Cruisin' and Being With You, and then he made this with Rick James but he was a coke head at this point so that might explain it:

I'll finish up with this - another cover I prefer to the original but I don't think Smokey will mind me saying that...D'Angelo, Cruisin'


Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails