Thursday, 5 June 2008

Y'all don't like live music?

Sorry, 3+ jobs makes for light blogging.
Last time I had an opinion on here I got cussed - but hell it's my blog and I mean no harm. If you know me you know I'm always out - especially if there's live music involved. The 'scene' that I seem to go out in, such as it is, is pretty much hip hoppers and geeky music lovers - you know, people like you. Thing is lately I've been noticing a trend...with any scene you tend to see the same faces - I can tell you a large proportion of who you'll see where without going in. I've been noticing lately though that most of those faces are just missing when it comes to a lot of live shows I go to ...Case in point - a new night called NYLO (New York London innit) started by a lovely lady named Peggy launched on Saturday @ Cargo with performances by Tiombe Lockhart, Hudson Mohawke & Olivier DaySoul. It was dope (Tiombe is a real diva - fire). Where was everyone? I often find myself thinking that. For me, regular DJ nights just can't compete with live music - I'd go to stupid lengths to sniff out live music. Tonight I was supposed to try and make it to Juno for Zubins' Real Hip Hop thing, East Village for the Masta Ace thing, and Deviation (my favourite night). I'm actually not feeling well so I'm just in bed (so I'm itching to be out).
What I need from you guys is to tell me about the sickest live shows you've seen and all the live acts & shows that will stick in your mind forever. I want clips, photos, live recordings of songs - whatever - just take me there.
Some highlights which I'll probably update at some stage:

- James Brown at the Roundhouse October 31st 2006 just before he died. *He did the cape.

-Dwight Trible at Cargo. Everyone in the house found themselves crying it was so beautiful.
- Cinematic Orchestra & Fontella Bass - they recreated the album cover of Every Day in the venue. Fontella was as you might imagine but much better.
- The Essential Festival back in 2000 - James Brown (danced with a dancer held above his head), Slum Village (backflipping off the speakers), & loads of others. *Angie Stone's set got moved to after James Brown, the bastards cut the lights & sound but she had us all sing No More Rain in this Cloud accapela in the dark with her.
- Magic Numbers & Katy Tunstall in a little pub about a year before they got famous
- Carnival 1999 Destinys Child & Lynden David Hall *My boyfriend at the time butted in to me & Katys argument with 'no, he was looking at me!' no homo.
- Little Brother/ Foreign Exchange @ the Jazz Cafe 2006 - Katy & I were pretty much the only girls & it was siiiiick.
- Janet Jackson Velvet Rope Tour
- Oneself at Cargo - Yarah came back out & did FIRE as an encore. I had an asthma attack
- Slum Village @ Jazz Cafe - I should really take an inhaler out with me.
- Ty - every live performance I've seen of his.

I was wondering whether to mention it but Dilla's last gig at the Jazz Cafe - if harrowing - was also very moving. Glad I was there.

1 comment:

  1. i love live, and made a promise to myself to get out and see as much as possible after missing all but 93 till infinity of heiros set in sydney...

    so much dopeness, most djs are boring...

    ugly duckling right after heiro

    roy ayers at croydon free festival

    ty there and at big chill

    dilated peoples at S.O.B.s new york - sharp and precise is right

    rjd2 - 4 deck live recreation of his track with the o.g. vinyl at joes pub new york

    sharon jones and the dap kings mean fiddler 6 years ago

    cymande at big chill on the day of my birth last year - brother on the slide! how can you sit down to that?

    arrested development at big chill 2 years ago - amazing

    lifesavas and slum village at jazz cafe last year - word!!!!!!!!

    quantic soul orchestra with alice russel jazz cafe a few years ago

    big daddy kane shepherds bush empire a few years back - slippin' but he never falls off!

    beardyman - beatbox looping maestro

    micahel franti at jazz cafe, crazily amazing, stupidly long set, covered so many genres of music, and even brought reggae legend dawn
    penn on stage to do no, no, no

    aloe blacc at the stones throw night at cargo, blew me away, bough this disc from him

    amy winehouse when the roots brought her on stage at shepherds bush empire, first and only time i heard her sing, damn...

    so much good shit, can't even remember, pretty much all the acts we have at LOOKOUT!

    alright, i'ma go eat...

    peace

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails