Tuesday, 20 May 2008

Where are all the female MCs at?!

I was just on myspace and Yarah Bravo posted this clip asking for help finding the instrumental (if you have it hit her up people!)...

Thing is it got me thinking & reminiscing - where are all the female MCs? I love Yarah - actually she's probably my favourite female MC of the moment alongside Jean Grae, Bahamadia & a soft spot for Tor but that's not really what I'm getting at.
When I first started getting in to music independently of my parents' Motown records I won't front it was '90s R&B and mainstream hip hop - and I was listening to female, rather than male MCs. I can still recite all of Crush On You by L'il Kim from '96s Hardcore. Actually that's not a good thing because I was 13 & she was filth. Still - Missy's Supa Dupa Fly was one of my first hip hop albums, and between my sister and I we had albums by Salt n Pepa, L'il Kim, Foxy Brown, Missy Misdemeanour Elliot, Da Brat, Queen Pen, Rah Digga, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, TLC, Lauryn Hill, and singles featuring MCs like Eve, Angie Martinez, Charlie Baltimore, Yoyo, Nuttin' Nyce...
I have to say it - they were my alternative to the Spice Girls brand of girl power... Salt N Pepa & TLCs frank promotion of safe sex (and on the flip side L'il Kim & Foxy Brown being as dutty as they were), Missy, Queen Pen, MC Lyte & Yoyo all looking as far removed from sexual objects as possible (not 100% it was on purpose), Da Brat & Rah Diggas' raw ass lyrics - (I think Rah Digga wins with 'niggas tryina eat my tampon - with my pants on'), the futuristic videos, the all female collaborations (OK Ladies Night was bad but I bought it out of solidarity), Missy bringing out & promoting other female artists - (Nicole Wreh, Tweet, and Total) . All in all I think that lot were better role models than the Spice Girls - at least they had something interesting to say for themselves.
If I had to sum up that era in one video - it'd be Missy & Da Brat on Sock it 2 Me from '97...

1 comment:

  1. Great post! You're right! Hip Hop needs more females (and i'm a dude saying that!). But they're still around...go here and check this out http://pinboard.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/jean-grae-love-thirst-video/

    Mad love to your blog!



Related Posts with Thumbnails