Thursday, 3 April 2008

Last night...and I don't think we've talked about New Amerykah...

If you weren't at Deviation last night, well, maybe don't read this. For me this was a night with the most exciting line up I'd heard about all year - Heralds of Change, Muhsinah, Fatima, Olivier DaySoul, and DJs Benji B, Jude and I think Bugz were there too. Only Benji B can command a crew like that. From what I can make out people got bit confused by HOC's syncopated rhythms but I was having a great time - I got the feeling people were scared if they danced too hard the music might just cut out underneath them or go in the opposite direction...anyway I can't say good enough things about Hudson Mohawke & Mike Slott both as HOC & independently. The live performances really took the night somewhere else and I have to say - Olivier killed it. Everyone was going 'who is that???!!!' He didn't do 'bopgun' but hey, I just shocked out to it at home. Again. Muhsinah came back on and that girl has the most beautiful energy and I love her material - she'll sing over beats people would be scared to 2 step to. I would have gone home thoroughly sated by all of that - but (if you weren't there stop reading now) SA-RA SHOWED UP!!! Well one of 'em anyway and he was pure filth. I lost my mind to Hollywood & Glorious and pined for my beloved music heads who weren't there. Next time :-( OK, I'll shut up about it now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Khy's comments below made me realise we haven't discussed the new Erykah album because we're too quick to move on to the unreleased Roots album. I think it's important! My first reaction was 'she needs a rocket up her arse and apparently she's in love with a bumblebee.' - I was sooo disappointed by WWU I was desperate for something serious. On the 5th listen however I found myself loving it - I often find myself struggling between production and vocals - I usually just want to listen to either/or - without the other so the sparse nature of it is an interesting choice and I think it works. Woman has a message & I feel it doesn't get lost here. I have a feeling it will grow on us all and I sincerely hope people don't think the minimal nature of The Healer means it's not a serious dancefloor tune - the looks on people's faces when it drops are nothing short of epiphany. 'Hip hop - is bigger than religion, it's bigger than the government - this one is for Dilla' Tell me what you think people...


  1. last night was hella dope and i only stepped as a last minute thing, no one eve told me what was going down, whut? do i live in a (shoe)box? ok so i saw the web flyer, but where was the word of mouth in the street? i guess sitting at home all day talking to no one has it's disadvantages. well happy that i made it, benji killed it, fatima killed it, muhsinah killed (check her wed 9th @ LOOKOUT!), Olivier killed it killed it! Love Potion No.9 has been one of my favourite songs since you first played it to me months ago . I'm 50/50 on HOC, love some, don't feel the offbeat...

  2. did i mention SA-RA? Glorious!

  3. thanks for the nice words.


  4. Ooh, err, you're welcome! Wasn't expecting you guys would read it & I'm honoured...



Related Posts with Thumbnails