Saturday, 12 April 2008

If you had to pick one favourite music video of all time...

I've been doing some research on music videos because I always feel there's this holy grail video I haven't seen yet that will change the fabric of my world. I think music videos are often one of the most underdeveloped art forms - if I were an artist I would be a total pain in the arse wanting every one to be an amazing work of art - I would rather not have one than it be average or formulaic. I love Chris Cunningham, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze and the rest but for me Mark Romanek really did it with this grammy award winner from 1998...

Apartheid South Africa never looked so attractive. I could watch this 100 times and never get bored...what I love most about it is the fact that everyone and everything in this video is just beautiful - from supermodel Alex Wek to the man having a pee...you want to be there.
Romanek actually won his first grammy for Scream 2 years earlier (at $7m it needs to be good), and has directed some other serious videos - Hella Good by No Doubt, 99 Problems for Jay Z and Hurt for Johnny Cash.

OK people you're up - you get to pick ONE each. I know it's hard but you can do it...feel free to list runners up but please only post your absolute favourite video on the page.

5 comments:

  1. where do you want us to post them? new post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, what actual track is your video of??? is it a jnet jackson cover of joni mitchell sampling joni mitchell or something different? confused... nice vid though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT TRACK?!!!
    GOT TIL IT'S GONE! The grammy award winning first massive single produced by Dilla off the massive album the Velvet Rope that went top 20 in almost every country in the world!!! I checked - it went number 10 in Australia and number 6 here. I didn't put the name because it was so big. Ahhh, Mr Boogie you can't live on planet hip hop all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony Williams24 June 2008 at 19:58

    I had the pleasure of shooting two spots with Romanek and this is by far one of his favorite pieces. I also met Tip at Com's crib (unfortunately) for Dillas funeral reception, where we sat on his front steps and chopped it up about his upcoming projects. Sorry to name drop but these were sincere monumental experiences in my life that i know others can appreciate the gravity of....

    Anthony, Los Angeles, CA
    (Basic1 - BridgetownSteel Crew)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails