Sunday, 27 April 2008

Corporate Branding with hip hop classics

Common and Just Blaze, Tip and Cool & Dre, KRS & Premier
I don't know how this came about, I haven't researched.
I don't know how much money was involved. I'm curious.
Someone at a drinks company thought it might be good to ask the above people to commission some tracks. And why not. I might have done the same if I had the money (it's all about branding).
Check and hear for yourselves (you might already have).
You can stream or download after they've checked your age in a sly way.
http://gate123.smirnoffsignaturemixseries.com/
("Please do not forward to anyone under 21"; you corporates!)

1 comment:

  1. DARK DARK DARK! I hadn't seen this!
    "I'm honored to have the opportunity to revisit one of my signature songs and give it a breath of fresh air," said KRS-One. "I'm grateful to Smirnoff for providing the opportunity to work with such great talent on such a ground-breaking idea and recreate hip-hop songs."
    WTF?! His song begins- 'Boogie Down Productions, with Premier we're getting paid'. Groundbreaking? Remixing a song?! WTF is going on?!

    They are remixing their classic songs and pairing them up with what sounds like alcopop vodka mixes?!
    "The Southside," AKA The Light rmx, Common and Just Blaze: Green Apple flavored vodka and cranberry juice
    "The Blueberry Abstract" AKA Midnight rmx, Q-Tip and Cool & Dre: Blueberry flavored vodka and lemonade
    "The Cypha" AKA Criminal Minded rmx, KRS-One and DJ Premier: Raspberry flavored vodka and pineapple juice
    Noooo! The language Smirnoff are using: 'this drink was the inspiration for', 'this drink represents this collaboration..'. Are they trying to say they got them all really pissed so they would agree to cheapen their music like this? I hope so.
    I don't give a shit if Smirnoffs' campaign is about responsible drinking or the best drink ever created - "The Blueberry Abstract" is making me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails